Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Discipled Disciplers

This is another one of those really tired posts, I'm starting to realize what my limits are, and everything is starting to catch up to me. I apologize if not all of this makes sense.

1 Peter 5.5 begins the second topic of the passage. Peter emphasizes the importance of humility in community and before God. The key emphasis is on how people relate to each other. Up to this point, Peter has only addressed the elders, the leaders, but now he begins this section with a message to the young men, before extending this new instruction to the entire community.

Peter instructs the young men to be discipled, and the elders to be disciplers. The young men are to learn from the experience of the elders, and the elders are to teach the young men from the lessons they have learned in life. The young men will learn, live, and one day become elders, at which point it will be their responsibility to teach.

Peter is instructing the church to be made up of discipled disciplers. We need those who will teach us, who will help us grow and develop so that we can become who God created us to be. At the same time, we must teach others. We must never be too arrogant to learn, because that is the attitude God opposes, but when we seek to learn God will bring us a teacher. We must never be to proud to teach, again because God opposes that decision, but when we desire to pass on the lesson we've learned, God will bring us those who need to hear what we have to share.

This verse has been on my mind a lot recently, and as I've been working with the various themes of this passage, I've realized that God has placed some good teachers in my life. I reached out to them yesterday, and am waiting to see if anything is able to happen where I can intentionally learn from them. At the same time, I'm realizing that I need to be discipling others. Right now this is proving to be difficult due to the time constraints I have, but I've felt this longing to pour into others. I'm in the process of trying to start a ministry focused on men, primarily college aged young men, but also men in general, wanting to help them become who God has called them to be (more on this to come sometime in the future). All of this is an attempt to both disciple and be discipled.

We must never be too arrogant as to think we have no more too learn, and we must never be too proud to pass on what we have gained through experience. God has created to live in community, and to humbly interact. We need a mentor, and we need to be mentors. This is how life was meant to be lived.


Fight the lion, 1 Peter 5.1-11

TO GOD ALONE BE THE GLORY!

No comments:

Post a Comment